What Is The Lymphatic System?
The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. The primary lymph organs are the spleen, thymus, tonsils, and adenoids. The lymph nodes filter out bacteria and toxic waste where lymphocytes (white blood cells) attack the bacteria.
Why Is Your Lymph So Important?
I include lymph cleansing in my 21 Day Detox Program. But I think the lymph is still overlooked. You can detox all day long. But if all those toxins coming out of hiding get stuck in your lymphatic system, you’re going to have a major problem on your hands.
Analogy (How The Lymph Works)
I use the analogy that the lymphatic system is like a sewer system of a bunch of tiny toilets all over the body that need to be flushed. Just like a toilet needs to be flushed, your lymphatic system needs to flushed. It’s like a pump. Being sedentary is terrible for lymph.
Now that you have that lovely image in your mind of backed up toilets, just imagine what happens in your body if your lymph backs up! Terrible mess that’s what. Because when the lymph backs up, your blood becomes toxic and makes you very sick.
Signs of a Clogged Lymphatic System
Swelling in hands, feet, and ankles (but not limited to)
Muscle and joint stiffness especially when you first wake up
20 Ways To Cleanse/Drain Your Lymphatic System
- Deep breathing stimulates lymph – CRITICAL for pulling toxic waste out because the rib cage is the lymphatic pump.
- Walking stimulates lymph.
- Stay well hydrated – add unrefined sea salt to water (1/8th to 16oz water every morning)
- Increase potassium intake – potassium pulls toxins OUT of the cells.
- Consume an anti-inflammatory alkaline diet – an alkaline diet including organic fresh produce especially leafy greens and avocados flushes lymph.
- Hydrotherapy – hot cold shower alternation seven times – contracts and relaxes and moves blood which de-congests lymph.
- Eliminate all dairy – causes body to produce mucus which increases lymphatic stagnation
- Lymph drainage massage
- Raw apple cider vinegar – detoxifies lymph and supports immune system
- Limit animal protein and gluten (which is a protein) – lymph does not drain well in an acidic environment. Too many acidic forming foods are mucus forming, and too much acid waste can damage kidneys. When toxins are not eliminated they have to store somewhere including the skin.
- Sweat – Skin is often referred to as the third kidney. Sweating reduces the toxic load on lymph system.
- Lemons (citrus) – are astringents and cause contraction within lymphatic vessels and nodes helping detoxify.
- Dry brushing – cleans dead cells off skin and moves lymph.
- Herbs – used in conjunction with everything else. Ex) Ginger and Astragulus
- Choose organic fruits and veggies – toxins in non organic clog lymph.
- Do not use antiperspirants – instead eliminate dairy, proteins, and medications that cause odor.
- Don’t shave all the hair off your body – hair collects and stores toxins and with lack of hair will cause toxins to irritate the skin and toxins will go back into the body.
- Avoid pharma drugs – they damage the lymphatic system. (always ask your Dr. before going off any medication)
- Avoid over eating and avoid mixing foods together – undigested food becomes poison and causes lymph stagnation.
- Negative emotions are toxic and acidic – clogs lymph – spend time in prayer, forgive, and manage stress.
Ultimately if you want to cleanse your lymph and get healthy, you have to change your diet, AND learn how to assist your body in eliminating the toxic waste. The best way to start cleansing your lymph is a comprehensive Detox. Changing your diet is crucial, but learning how to safely eliminate the waste is just as important.
Ready To Get Started?
\You can get started today with Catherine’s 21 Day Detoxification Program (eCourse). Detox Diet to Cleanse Your Colon, Kidney, Liver, Lung Lymph and Skin!
All the best to your health!
Catherine Rudolph, CNC
Certified Nutrition Consultant