I often have people ask me if I have specific health products I recommend.
First and foremost, I always recommend any nutritional supplements be taken to enhance, not replace, a healthy diet.
That said, Aloe Vera is a nutritional supplement I’ve used and recommended for years due to it’s powerful healing and health benefits. Especially for gut health.
7 Health Benefits of Aloe Vera
- Boost your immune system – approx. 70% of your immune system is in your gut
- Heal your gut and support digestive health (IBS, acid reflux, leaky gut…)
- Reduce inflammation
- Inhibit cancer cell growth
- Nourish and clear skin conditions
- Superior hydration
- Protect against infection from fungi, bacteria like H. pylori, and viruses
Not All Aloe Vera Is Equal
Some aloe vera juice products may actually do more damage than good. If your aloe juice states it may help with constipation, beware that means it has outer leaf and will irritate your gut lining.
Commercial Aloe Vera is usually…
- Highly processed and heated, which destroys many of the therapeutic nutrients
- Contain toxic preservatives that are created to hinder life (hence longer shelf life)
- Do not remove all of the outer leaf that can irritate the intestinal lining and cause a laxative effect.
The best aloe juice is going to be fresh RAW. The only way to obtain fresh raw aloe vera is either make your own, or buy raw frozen. It may be more expensive, but the truth is you get what you pay for. Instead of irritating your intestinal lining, you’ll actually be nourishing, soothing, and even healing your intestinal lining.
*True raw, inner leaf only, aloe vera will not irritate the intestines or cause laxative effect.
All the best to your health!
Catherine Rudolph, CNC
Certified Nutrition Consultant