Protein powders are crazy popular. They’re quick, easy, often have some additional ingredients both good and bad. But the real question is are they healthy? Do you need them? The best way to answer that question is to look at some facts.
- All protein powders are processed. They are not truly a whole food. They lack fiber and nutrients which can cause a spike in insulin.
- Only 3% of the population is protein deficient. Protein deficiency is not a common problem unless you are literally starving or have a chronic health condition causing you to be deficient.
- 97% of the population is FIBER deficient. So why are we so hung up on protein powders? What we really need is high fiber plant foods including fruits and vegetables.
- Every raw food, including fruits and vegetable, have protein.
- Animal protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs) are acidic, mucus forming, and cause inflammation in the body.
- Whey protein is another type of animal protein. It is mucus forming and contributes to inflammation.
What if you do need additional protein?
Choose plant based whole food proteins. One excellent example is Hemp Seeds. Hemp seeds are truly a whole food. Why buy hemp seed powder when you can eat the whole seed with all the naturally occurring fiber and nutrients.
Interested in learning more? In my Foods That Heal book you’ll learn which proteins, carbs, sweeteners, fats are the healthiest choice, and which foods to avoid.
In this powerful book you’ll learn how to you can take charge of your health in just 30 days!
WHEN? Before and/or after Catherine’s 21 Day Detox
A Complete Guide to Healthy Eating
30 Day Simple Healthy Meal Plan
50+ Quick Simple Recipes (Using Proper Food Combining)
Maximize Digestion & Weight Loss
Includes proper food combining chart
Color pictures of unfamiliar healthy grocery items to help you shop!
All the best to your health!
Catherine Rudolph, CNC
Certified Nutrition Consultant