High fat diets have gained a lot of attention lately and for a good reason.
I’m a big fan and my personal diet is high in fat. A high fat high protein diet centered around plenty of vegetables, is great for weight management, blood sugar balancing, reducing food cravings, and reducing pain and inflammation.
However, it’s VERY important to keep in mind there are good fats, and bad fats.
Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids are an example of “good fats” that must be consumed through diet (because the body cannot produce them) and have a very important job in the body.
Benefits of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)
- Control inflammation (which causes pain and leads to disease)
- Manage and reduce stress
- Maintaining liver and kidney function
- Support brain and central nervous system health
- Promote hair and skin health
- Assist in balancing mood and behavior disorders
- Breaking down cholesterol
- Regulating blood pressure
- Balancing hormone activity and reproductive health
- Balancing metabolic processes and thyroid function
Five Super Foods High In Omega 3 EFA’s
1. Hemp seeds
The perfect balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fat ratio, high in protein, high in fiber, an all around super food.
2. Chia Seeds & Flax Seeds
Another super food high in omega 3 fats, protein, and fiber.
High in omega 3 fats and protein. (Soak nuts in water first to ensure proper digestion).
Always look for wild caught. Salmon is an excellent source of omega 3 fats.
5. Oceans Alive
Oceans Alive is a marine phytoplankton. It’s excellent whole food omega 3 supplement option if your diet is deficient in the previously listed foods, or if you have slow thick bile (clogged liver or gallbladder).
All the best to your health!
Catherine Rudolph, CNC
Certified Nutrition Consultant