Soaking raw nuts and seeds is an essential if you want to digest and absorb their wonderful nutrients. In nature they are supposed to sit in ground water after spring rain falls in order to naturally remove/reduce nutrient inhibitors. Unfortunately farmers are in such a hurry to harvest and sell their product, that step is skipped. As a result, it becomes our job to soak them in water at home after we buy them. Soaking time will vary for each variety of nuts but you can easily do a google search for specific soak times.
7 Reasons Why You Should Soak Raw Nuts and Seeds
- Reduce phytic acids that interfere with digestion
- Reduce enzyme inhibitors – inhibit the action of beneficial enzymes
- Encourages the production of live enzymes (especially if you sprout them)
- Increase the amount of vitamins and minerals (especially if you sprout them)
- Make proteins more readily available for absorption
- Prevent mineral deficiencies – (nuts and seeds that are not soaked can leech minerals out of the body)
- Prevent tooth decay and bone loss
All the best to your health!
Catherine Rudolph, CNC
Nutritional Life Coach